Saturday, March 14, 2009

Weekend Update - Fun with Fluid Dynamics

So in the scheme of my blog themes, I've decided that at least one weekend day will be "Weekend Update" where I give a look at what has been keeping me busy.

The last few days I've been trying to get projects finished for my classes and have thus missed a few days of posts. (I had planned to post about my role-playing game, but that got canceled anyway due to my workload, so I'm not sure what I would have posted anyway.)

I still don't really have time to blog, I have one more report to do and it's a day late already. But I wanted a break and I thought I'd share some neat looking images from my computational fluid dynamics report. I had to model two jets of water coming in from the sides of the tank seen here, and coming out the top.

The velocity contours the program makes, like the one below are pretty cool looking.

This one shows that my flow is coming out the wrong end for one my simulations... epic fluid dynamics fail!

This is a picture of the static pressure profile, I thought it kind of looked like wings or something.

These last two show the velocity looking like what it's actually supposed to. Yay!


So yeah, I'm not sure if these are actually interesting or if I've just been staring at this stuff for WAY too long. You decide. :)

Well, back to work on the other report. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. Actually..it is fascinating! The static pressure profile particularly...I was robbed in science...I grew up in the day when if you were a girl science wasn't interesting or beyond your capabilities and I bought into it particularly since I had a aptitude for using the other side of my brain quite well(and it's impossible for you to be good with both sides). Turns out I'm actually quite good with math and science and I LOVE it..did a beginners chemistry course last year just for fun.

    Keep it coming Brian!

    Breeze

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's very interesting ... and beautiful!

    Art Ist
    http://4oneaday.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete