Wednesday, April 1, 2009

What's Cookin' Wednesday: Strawberry Chocolate Smoothie


So for What's Cookin' Wednesday I decided to switch it up from the entree dishes I'd been showing and do a smoothie! This one was a Strawberry Chocolate Smoothie.

The ingredients:

8 ice cubes
1/2 cup vanilla low fat yogurt
1 cup skim milk
1 cup semi-thawed frozen strawberries
1 tablespoon chocolate syrup
1 tablespoon chocolate-hazelnut spread
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1 tablespoon wheat germ

Just put everything in a blender, blend for about a minute until it's smooth and you're all set. (I added an extra little sprinkle of slivered almonds in the glass as a garnish, but it's not really necessary.)

It ends up making enough for 2 large glasses each having 291 calories. (You could omit the chocolate-hazelnut spread and have it be 241 calories a glass.) It makes for a great breakfast or snack and is pretty healthy. The almonds and wheat germ give it a bit of thickness and texture that I enjoy, but if you don't like little bits of almond you may want to blend it a little longer to make sure they are broken down finely. It hadn't added the chocolate-hazelnut spread when I had made this before but I decided to switch it up a bit. I couldn't really distinguish the two chocolate flavors at the end, so in the future I'd probably omit the spread. (I LOVE it with other things though, especially on bagels or in a crepe with bananas... mmm... I need to make crepes again soon).

Anyway, once you get the general proportions down, smoothies are great fun to experiment with. I've tried different fruit combinations, peanut butter, various nuts, ricotta cheese, even leftover coffee. (There was coffee in the pot from the morning once and I used it for frozen mocha inspired smoothie.)

I highly recommend you all give smoothies a try if you haven't already. Be sure to let me know if you come up with any big hits!

No comments:

Post a Comment